Saturday, 20 July 2013

SBI Interview

Date: 17th July 2013

After getting through the cut throat competition in the SBI bank PO written test, I have got the call letter for my interview dating 17th July. The weather was calm when I got out from the Patel Chowk metro station. Humidity was at its zenith. The place has some kind of pacifying milieu. So I was there at the SBI Local Head Complex, Parliament Street. The infrastructure was world class just like in Special Economic Zone. Went inside the complex office. My interview was on 12th floor. Getting in lift was like boarding the metro with so much wait and commotion. Finally I landed at 12th floor and entered the Board room. Two red eyed vultures (documents verification authority) were waiting for us and saw us like their prey has come. After having done with my documents verification, we had our lunch. There was a group of 12 students in my afternoon batch.
Our GD started at around 3pm with the topic “Memories of the days spent in college and University life”. Much to the dismay of the board members everybody spoke about every good thing that happened to them concealing their true colours. Anyways the chairman was much disappointed with our tangled, monotonous, colourless memories. He went furious out of the conference hall telling us to get ready for the interview.
My no. was 5th. Bell rang and I opened the door.
Me: May I coming sir.
M1: yes please (chairman was not at the chair and was wondering in room for something).
Me: Good Afternoon to u all, Sirs.
M1: Good afternoon Sahil. Please have a seat.
M2: So, Mr. Sahil, you are an electronics engineer. Tell me why most of the electronics engineers are opting for banks.
Me: Sir, not only the electronics engineer but every engineer is looking forward to banks because the quality of education in India is very dismal. Most of the colleges are profit seeking and don’t provide quality education. Most of the teachers are under qualified. For ex. even in my college my teachers were my super seniors
Suddenly the chairman appeared from nowhere and sat on his sofa.
Chairman: Very good answer. You know what I have been expecting this answer from students but none of them came up to my satisfaction. Commendable. I am satisfied. He asked others members to continue asking Questions.
M2: On which level u will place yourself as an engineer- Good, Average, below average
Me: Average Sir
M2: Do you know anything in engineering about what u can tell me
Me: Sir I had keen interest in Mobile telecommunication.
M2: Difference between microwave and radio wave.
ME: I answered though not precisely.
M2: Are there any losses while transmission. How they can be controlled
Me: I wasn’t aware of the answer, still I replied firmly. I still don’t remember what I spoke.
M1: Ok, Sahil. Now we will go through a rapid fire round. Just answer in one sentence
Me: Ok, Sir
M1: Plasma TV working
Me: No clue sir
M1: Black hole.
Me: Answered.
M1: What is double helix?
Me: It is a Structure.
M1: Example
Me: DNA
M1: Who invented it?
Me: No idea.
M1: What are your Optionals in IAS
Me: I had Public Admin and Sociology but now I have opted for Sociology only
M1: Why
Me: It has social relevance and studies about social reality based on empirical understanding and objectivity while Public Admin is only about theories which are completely mechanical.
M1: Tell me the name of a well known sociologist of India
Me: Andre Beteille (Bete)
M1: Is it bête or Beteille.
Me: Sir it is Beteille but is pronounced as bête.
M1: Tell me about his works
Me: Caste and social mobility, Caste and political structure of India etc
M1: He is from India? I think his origin is different from his destination.
Me: I am sorry sir. I don’t know about it.
M1: Any other sociologists.
Me: M.N. Srinivas, G.S. Ghurye, Yogendra Singh etc
M4: Sahil, if u have to describe yourself in one word, what is it.
Me: (After lot of thinking), Sir, passionate
M4: About everything?
Me: About what I am pursuing now.
M4: UPSC?
Me: Yes, Sir
Chairman: Ok, Sahil Thank you very much.
Me: Thank you to all, Sirs.
I heaved a sigh of relief.

1 comment: