Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Atrocities against Women- Sociological analysis

Women is always considered as second sex and this ideology has led to exploitation of women by patriarchy. They have become vulnerable group due to rising intolerance among the male counterpart on the progressive thinking of women.
Robert Browney considers that atrocities against women are committed in the form of denial of woman’s right to abortion in catholic state even if her life is at stake. They are seen as body of pleasures and thus exploited by men with or without their consent. In case of India various primordial practices like sati were conducted which were subsequently abolished. Therefore atrocities have cultural dimension, advocates Ranji Palirwala.
Utsa Patnaik tells that atrocities are a form of economic exploitation of women in family. They are forced to work more than a pair of bullocks and in return are not granted any privileges and food.
Veena Das advocate that women are worst victims of violence. Whether it is war in family or country, atrocities are committed against women in the form of kidnapping, bride burning, rape, sexual assault and trafficking. Leela Dubey considers that atrocities are implicitly conducted in the form of restriction on movement, clothing pattern, socialization, and also in the form of early marriages. Dowry is demanded from them and divorce is institutionalized in case of non-fulfillment of demands of bride.
Patricia Uberoi talks about institutionalization of atrocities by state by formulating family planning which leads to experimentation on woman’s body through abortion as well as new scientific techniques and leads to loss of reproductive power, isolation and exploitation. A women is forced to kill another women before she is born.
Selvan considers that dalit women are killed, their modesty outraged, they are forced to walk naked and burnt in case of South Indian Villages. Therefore atrocities of women start from private sphere and expand to public sphere with the age of the woman.
Annihilative measures require government to implement law in letter and spirit coupled with breakdown of cultural norms and values. When Utsa Patnaik and Omvedt calls for economic and financial independence of women, equal wage for equal work, radical feminist advocates for shift from marriage centric to divorce centric society.

Kalpana Sharma(a columnist in The Hindu) says that women require all round development and political, social, economic empowerment through reservation, equal wages, sensitive police and judicial system and recognition of their freedom.

12 comments:

  1. Hello Sahil,
    Congrats 4 the success on Civils Exam. I m also having Sociology as optional. I took coaching 4 this subject frm Vajiram in 2012. I m appearing 4 exam this year. But as time for mains is very less this year, i m getting negative vibes abot socio. i have completely forgotten wat i have studied. Could u tell me briefly the approach 4 this subject and essential books/notes to be followed keeping time frame in mind. Will be thankful to u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Saurav. I think the notes provided to you would be enough supplemented by your class notes. Try to complete all theories (both part 1 and 2) and various paradigms (positivist, anti- positivist, non -positivist, phenomenology, critical, etc) in the first month so that you can get an idea about how to proceed further

      Delete
  2. Hello Sahil..
    First of all, Congrats to clear civil services exam..
    I also appearing this time with sociology optional. However, I have not studied it earlier.. not even the NCERTs.. I have started after this prelims.. Actually this was my late decision abt which optional subject should I supposed to choose and chose it while filling the form only..My prelims gone well and I have a fair chance to clear it... So plz guide me how to proceed with this subject.. I am starting from scratch and presently reading NCERTs.. Can you please give me a rough sketch that how to proceed in these 3 months?? Which notes and buks are good.. etc..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sahil,
    I am appearing for civil services (mains) exam this year with sociology option. I read your blog and answer scripts of other toppers and one thing which was common was that you quote many writers/thinkers. I know the standard ones(like Marx/Durkheim) by reading Ignou And some Harlambos but don't know about others like Utsa Patnaik, Kolenda,Yogendra Singh etc. I have not joined any coaching as I am working so please forgive me if the question seems foolish but where do I get different perspectives of different thinkers/sociologists other than the standard ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bicky, i am just starting out with sociology optional, and I am too worried about the same thing as you. I am actually feeling now if I ak not good enough to write this subject effectively. So did you find the answer to your question? Any help on how to start and go about sociology will be a lot of help! Thanks in advance

      Delete
  4. Hi Sahil
    very well written,
    sahil i have a doubt, offtopic, but could you please clarify the difference btw marxism and marxianism, former related to power and latter to modes of production may be.
    regards
    atul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sir, my name is Pramod Raj and i have started preparing for sociology. I am not in a position to afford coaching. Can it be done without coaching? what should be my approach sir. kindly help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pramod, you should read my other sociology post. I have shared my few notes as well.

      Delete
  6. Is that the same way you mentioned name of perticular person in your mains paper for cse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all the scholars but try including atleast 2 scholars for 10 marks and 3-4 scholars in 20 marks

      Delete